Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yum from every angle!

Its been about a week since I've arrived in Portland, a veritable vegan mecca!  I've had a few successes and a few failures during my time here, but the lesson through it all is that covert veganism isn't easy.

My parents were here for a week and I still haven't broken the news to them.  We ate at Yumm Cafe, the Melting Pot, Rogue Hall, McMenamins, and a few places out of town.  The good news is that I could find decent vegan fare without having to really ask.  The bad news that in doing so I probably ate a few pieces of cheese here and there, which is the single food that I find most difficult to avoid.  Either way, my adventures here are going pretty swimmingly.  I almost forgot:  they also had a nice roasted vegetable tray at my orientation!  Who would have thought that there was something besides plain vegetables that vegans could eat in public!  Granted, it was still a vegetable tray but at least it was cooked!

I also went to the farmers market today to check out the vegetable fare.  What a WONDERFUL selection, and such convenient hours!  Currently I'm wondering if I should make my way down to some food carts or wait in line at the roasted pepper stand.  I'm also perusing through some online recipes so I can buy some yummy fresh fruits and veggies and make them TONIGHT.  This is a total win!

I made sure to stop my the Petunia's vegan/gluten-free stand today and pick up some treats.  I only had about $9 in my pocket so I picked up two shimmery pink cupcakes.  One for myself, and the other for my roommate!  She doesn't seem wary of my veganism, so maybe I can bring her over to the dark side?  Baketivism, right Isa Chandra Moskowitz?  I'm not an incredible baker, much less a vegan baker, so why not have someone else do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment