Saturday, October 8, 2011

Almost 60 Days in!

I'm almost 60 days in, Huzzah!

I got back from the Farmer's Market just a little while ago and got QUITE the deal on some delicious veggies!  I picked up the following:

2 Bunches Kale
2 Bunches Beets
2 Bunches Carrots 
1 Cabbage
1 Butternut Squash
1 Lb. Shitake Mushrooms
2 Sweet Bell Peppers
1 Bunch of Grapes

All for about $25!  How exciting is that?  I'm seriously pumped about this because my fridge was looking pretty barren after this past week.  I actually had to make a run to the grocery store to pick up some eats on Thursday...unfortunately I spent well over $25 and I'm still feeling the pain of such a trip.  On the upside, I found a variety pack of Nature's Path Oatmeal so now I can try all of their flavors (so glad they're vegan!).  The Maple Nut is definitely a favorite of mine, but their Apple Cinnamon is also good...especially for someone  who doesn't like Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal!

Anyway, my friend Rhiannon came to visit me last weekend and we had a blast!  She had never seen the ocean so we took a lil' drive to the coast with my roommate in tow.  We also went to see some waterfalls, eat some DELICIOUS doughnuts, and wander all around Portland.  Real quick-shoutout to Voodoo Doughnuts for supplying me with the most fantastic vegan doughnut I have ever (and perhaps will ever) have.

One thing that I noticed was that eating out makes my veganism more difficult.  Rhiannon was totally supportive of my lifestyle change, but I often found myself struggling with the idea of being an inconvenience to her.  She kept asking me "well, can you eat here?" or "is there anything for you?" and I just felt like a bother.  She kept insisting that I wasn't an inconvenience at all and that she was happy to explore veganism with me, and I truly do believe her, but my own insecurity kept getting in the way.  



After she left I kept asking myself why I'm even doing this.  Should it be so hard?  Then I thought: since when has doing the right thing been easy?  Sure, my lifestyle might not be convenient for other people...but eating meat and/or returning to animal products is considerably more than inconvenient for the animals.  


So I guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't let your "losses" overshadow your wins.  My wins?  
Being close to the 2 month mark.  Getting a steal at the market.  Baked goods, made JUST for me.  Cooking with Maple Syrup.

So keep your head up, ladies and gents.  Sometimes you just need to stick it out and fight (even with yourself) for what you believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment