Saturday, August 27, 2011

Coming Out: The Vegetarian Closet


Do I have some type of social responsibility to blog about being a vegetarian now?  Hopefully not, but I guess I should post a lil’ something here and there about it…especially since I’m so far from my home now :(
Well, here’s a few deats:
My parents were in town for the past week and I was secretly vegetarian the whole time.  Mostly I ordered fish and what-not because it was less obvious than ordering salads the whole time.  A lot of the restaurants in Missoula are surprisingly not veggie friendly, so it was either shrimp or salad.  Maybe I should re-phrase that, most of the chain restaurants weren’t very veggie friendly…and my parents chose them almost exclusively.  A few times here and there my Dad said “but you got no meat!” when I’d order something, but beyond that he didn’t seem to think about it much.
I asked my Mom to take me food shopping today and I told her about my vegetarianism on the way.  She seemed ok with it, but the entire time we were in the supermarket she was a little discouraging.  I know she didn’t mean to be that way specifically, she just tends to have a discouraging personality.
They both went out to the movies and I’m expecting one of two things:  Either my Mother forgets to mention it to my Dad all together (which is fine) OR she’ll mention it and he will enter into the house saying “So you’re a vegetarian now, huh?” and then mutter on about hippie bullshit, “the liberal agenda,” or make some other type of mocking statements(which is normal, but not necessarily fine). 
While this all sounds negative, I can happily say that I’m excited for my vegetarian future!  I feel really good about this decision and so far it has gone along swimmingly.  I probably won’t be very honest with most of my family about why
I went veggie because it is really hard to explain, but I hope that one day I can have an honest conversation about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment