Saturday, August 27, 2011

Veggie Tales


So I’ve done some research and made some decisions.
I still stand by my statement that I’m not ready to make a commitment to veganism.  I do think, however, that some changes can be made in that direction.  I’ve been trying to limit my egg and dairy intake recently and it is equal parts difficulty and ease.  I find that avoiding animal products at home is pretty easy, but working in a mall limits what I can eat when I’m there.  The solution should be to just pack a lunch, but money has been tight and I’m still trying to figure out what I can bring other than a salad.  I don’t want to turn my food choices into a burden on my family.
Working at a Coffee Stand also presents complications, because THERE IS SO MUCH MILK EVERYWHERE.  2%, Non-fat, Whole, Heavy Cream, Whipped cream, not to mention all of the pastries in the display case…and then Soy.  Thank the lord for Soy!  I’m not sure whether it is GMO or not, but I should really look into it.  I don’t want to be so desperate that I forget about the exploitation of farmers by companies like Monsanto (who push GMOs down the throats of farmers everywhere, frequently causing them to go out of business).  Replacing concerns for Human welfare with Animal welfare is really not a stance I support.
My “research” relies entirely on blogs like No Meat Athlete and Kiss Me, I’m Vegan.  At this point I don’t feel like I need “convincing,” but I want to learn as much as I can about personal experience with the issues.  Or perhaps I’m looking for a friend to commiserate with?  Who knows, but I feel like reading these blogs give me hope when I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.  That said, I don’t feel overwhelmed in the typical sense.  I don’t feel hopeless or dis-empowered, but I tend to question myself.  Maybe that is all I need, a few people to share the experience with me.  Hopefully when I get to Portland I’ll find some granolas like me to share recipes with and talk about whatever it is that we’re supposed to be talking about.
That said, I don’t want to hang out with any creepers just because they don’t eat meat…so yea lets hope that doesn’t happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment